Salmon Curry Wontons


A couple months ago I made some curried salmon burgers that were pretty good but as I ate them I could help but thinking how good that salmon mixture would be stuffed inside a crunchy fried shell. At first I contemplated making wonton tacos and cooking the salmon separately and stuffing the tacos with that and some pickled daikon. My fear was that the salmon would then be crumbly and maybe come off with an off putting texture.





I had also thought about using the salmon in a fried spring roll but was worried that the salmon curry mixture would be to much for a whole spring roll. I settled in on the idea of using wontons and making little parcels with the curried salmon filling.





This was clearly the right choice. I had gone on Youtube and found a video of a lady demonstrating the different techniques for folding wontons and tried a couple of them out. the envelope style seemed to  work the best and the crispy yet chewy texture of the wontons was exactly what I was hoping for and worked perfectly with the salmon curry. Served with a little hot mustard and some sweet and sour sauce they made a great appetizer.




Thai Curry Salmon Envelopes

1 package of store bought square wonton wrappers

1 lb. boneless, skinless salmon fillet, roughly chopped
14 cup Thai red curry paste
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
3 tbsp. roughly chopped roasted, salted peanuts
2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp. fish sauce
zest of 1 lime plus 1tsp. of lime juice






Mix the ingredients together except the wonton wrappers. when you are ready to stuff your wontons watch this quick tutorial on how to do it and pick your favorite shape. Fry the wontons in 350 degrees oil until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.