Lake Trout Brushed with Dijon Mustard and Fried in an Herb Breading


My garden didn't really produce mush this year, at least not compared to years past. The one thing I did have plenty of were my herbs. I had a tone of chives so much so that I had to find other ways to use it, like chive oil. I have been told that you can dry your herbs for later use or freeze them in little cubes of olive oil but neither of those options really amused me. A number of years ago I cooked some salmon that was rubbed in Dijon mustard and then rolled in fresh herbs. I remember eating it thinking that the flavors were all there but the herb didn't really stay on the fish and the whole thing seemed to be missing something.


As I was thinking about making the dish again it occurred to me that what the salmon dish was missing was a texture. And that texture could be accomplished by adding bread crumbs. By pulverizing the herbs with bread crumbs and then breading a pan frying the fish you would get all the same flavors but also have that nice crisp crunch that many of us enjoy with our fish. When I went to the freezer to get some salmon I found a perfect lone fillet of Lake Trout that just looked like it wanted to be bathed in Dijon and breaded.


The Dijon makes add a very subtle flavor and help the breadcrumbs stick and all the herbs in the breading come through to give this dish a tremendous flavor. Lake trout has a really great texture and has a firm meat that held together quite well. As I ate this it reminded me a bit of Schnitzel I served it along side some wilted sorrel that gave me that lemony acidity that goes so wonderfully with fried foods.


Lake Trout with a Dijon and Herb Breading

Lake trout fillets
2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard per fillet
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup of chopped herbs (use what ever herbs you like, I used rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage and chives)

Oil for frying
 In a food processor combine the bread crumbs and the herbs and pulse until the herbs are finely chopped. Brush the fillets with Dijon until completely coated. Roll in the bread crumbs until coated then fry in a large pan with a quarter inch of oil. If you don't have sorrel to use serve with a wedge of lemon and squeeze over the fish.