Miso Glazed Salmon Skewers


Well my latest trip over to Lake Michigan was much more successful than my last one. I even got to experience sea sickness for the first time in my life. Our first day out the wind was howling and the lake was rolling out 5-6 foot waves. I don't usually get sea sick and truthfully was doing just fine for the first couple of hours and then went below to use the bathroom and something about being in that tiny little closet of a bathroom and the motion was more than I could take. I broke out in a sweat and just couldn't shake the nausea after that. I held it together the best I could for the remainder of the day but it was everything I could do not to start chumming the waters. We only got three fish that first day and we had to work for the three we got.


The second day out was much calmer and we started getting fish shortly after they set out the lines. I can't say the action was non-stop but we did have a fish or a strike about every 20 minutes through out the day. We ended the second day with 11 fish and a total of 14 for the 2 days. When I got home I weighed it all out and packaged it and we brought home 46 pounds of fillets.


The first thing I wanted to do was make some type of salmon skewer. I wanted to try some type of miso on them and found a great Miso and honey glaze to brush on the salmon as it grills. This salmon from Lake Michigan is some of the cleanest tasting salmon I have ever had and the glaze adds a sweet and salty touch that is hard to beat.




Miso Glazed Salmon Skewers

1 lbs. salmon fillets (cut into 1 inch wide strips)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp grated lemon grass


Combine the oil, soy sauce, ginger and lemon grass and then pour it over the salmon strip and marinade for 30 minutes prior to grilling.

For the glaze

3 tablespoons Red Miso Paste
2 tablespoons Mirin
2 tablespoons cooking rice wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 clove of garlic minced

Stir the ingredients for the glaze together until well combined.

grill the salmon skewers on a hot grill for 2 minutes on each side. After you turn the skewers the first time brush with the glaze and grill for a couple more minutes on each side for a total of four minutes per side.