Ramp Beignet's with Ramp Green Goddess Dressing


Ramps are easily my favorite wild foragable. I look forward to heading out into searching for ramps the same way I do for deer. Luckily ramps will come back every year in the same area as long as you don't over pick them. so once you find a couple of different spots you can go right back to them year after year. I have 6-7 spots that I hit up every spring to pick them and usually only pick about 3 pounds a year. That way I can have some immediately and then have some to preserve and keep throughout the rest of the year. 


I just made five pints of ramp and sorrel chimichurri that I will be able to use all year long and a couple of small containers of ramp pesto that will get used up as well. I may hav eto go back out and get some more so I can pickle some ramps as well. 


These little ramp beignets are something I have been wanting to try for a while. Emeril Lagasse makes a savory beignet in a couple of his cookbooks and I have loved them so making one with ramps seemed a perfect fit for me. THe addition of the Ramp green goddess dressing hits these out of the park. The beignets ar light and crunchy and the inside is warm and packed full of ramp goodness. 


Each Batch makes between 12-15 beignets depending on how big you make them. My wife and kids devoured this first batch and I almost didn't get to take any pictures. 


Ramp Beignets

2 cups roughly chopped ramps, leaves and stems
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg plus one yolk
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
Oil for frying

Heat the butter in a large pan until melted and hot. Add the ramps and cook until the largest chunks of ramp are soft, season with salt and pepper. Combine the other ingredients in a large bowl until completely combined. Add the ramps to the batter and stir until well mixed. In a large pot or fryer heat oil to 350 degrees. Using a spoon drop large spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.

Ramp Green Goddess Dressing

1 cup mayo
1 cup greek yogurt
1 cup of chopped ramps, Leaves and stems combined
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fish sauce

Put all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.