Chicken Fried Venison Steaks


There are very few meals that make me as happy as chicken fried steak. It doesn't matter if its breakfast, lunch or dinner I love chicken fried steak. Even shitty chicken fried steak is good. This has been my go to meal for just about every hangover I have ever had. It is also my grab a bite after the bar go to as well. You can find it on almost every diner menu and it never changes. I have been trying to make a really good wild game version of chicken fried steak for about 10 years now and this is probably my best effort to date. In the past I have tried duck breast and elk heart but a perfect pieces of white-tail deer really can't be beat.


 I grew up eating a similar dish my grandmother used to make, fried round steak is great but doesn't have the same crunchy breading on the outside. The round steak isn't pounded out either so it isn't as tender. These venison steaks that I pounded to about a 1/4 inch thick were fork tender. This is always a crowd pleaser and I never seem to cook enough it always disappears fast. Served up with some pan gravy mashed potatoes and last years canned beans this is one of my favorite meals.



Chicken Fried Venison

4 venison steaks pound to about a 1/4 thickness
1 cup all purpose flour
3 eggs
seasoned salt
Canola oil for frying


Pound the steaks and then season them with the seasoned salt. Add a teaspoon of the seasoned salt to the beat eggs and the flour. Dredge the steaks in the seasoned flour and then into the eggs and then back into the flour. Shake off the excess and then set them aside for five minutes before frying to let the breading set. Pour enough oil into the pan to give you a 1/4 inch depth and heat the oil over medium heat. Fry the steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side making sure your oil isn't to hot and burn the breading. After frying set the steaks aside to make the gravy.

For the gravy 

1/4 cup of oil
1/4 cup of the left over seasoned flour
Milk
salt and pepper

Pour off the excess oil leaving about a 1/4 cup in the pan, add a 1/4 cup of the seasoned flour to the pan and stir until the four and oil are combined. slowly add milk while stirring constantly adding a little milk at a time. the gravy will thicken and clump. Keep adding milk a little bit at a time until you get the consistency of gravy you want. When the gravy is just right season with salt and pepper.

serve with mashed potatoes and beans or with hashbrowns and eggs.