Venison Fried Rice


I am always amazed at how easy and delicious fried rice can be. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have made this at home and each time I make it I think the same thing. Why don't I make this more often? Maybe its because I always view fried rice as a side dish and not as a main dish. This fried rice changed that for me, this was as much an entree as any other dish I have made. I used a whole pound of ground venison in it so it had some heft.  

The venison I used for this was cut with bacon ends. Every year I grind some of my venison with bacon ends. This gives it a good amount of fat and also adds just a little bit of smokey flavor to the meat. I can buy a 3 pound pack of bacon ends at my local grocery store for around 9 dollars. Then I grind two pounds of it in with 8 pounds of venison. I like to use this mix for burgers and tacos and things like this fried rice. I mixed in 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce, one teaspoon of fresh minced ginger and a couple cloves of garlic to the meat and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour before I cooked it. When I was done all I could think was, why don't I do this more often. This dish comes together very quickly so it helps to have all your ingredients set up before hand so you can work quickly.




Venison Fried Rice 

Rice Seasoning liquid

1 tsp honey
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
1 tablespoon dark soy
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper

1 lbs ground venison
2 tablespoons dark soy
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 large carrot, shredded
1 medium onion diced
3 eggs beaten
1 cup bean sprouts
5 cups cooked rice
2 tablespoons canola oil

Mix the meat, dark soy, ginger and garlic and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to and hour. Mix the liquids and the pepper together and set aside. Heat the canola oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or wok and sweat the onions for 2-3 minutes. Add the meat mixture and cook for 5-6 minutes until all the pink is gone. Stir in the carrots and the rice, stir to break up any clumps of meat or rice. Pour in the seasoning liquids and stir to combine. Add the beaten eggs and stir until cooked. When ready to serve add the sprouts and stir to combine, garnish with green onions.