Smoked Fish and Horseradish Pate


I am a big fan of smoked fish. All kinds of smoked fish not just the good ones. Everybody likes smoked salmon and smoked trout, smoked white fish is popular here in Minnesota. but the further down the food chain you go the less likely people are to enjoy it. Smoked carp is delicious but only a select few know that because they were willing to try it. One of my favorites are smoked Goldies. What the hell are smoked goldies you might ask? the are actually an Atlantic whiting that when smoked are a firm white meat with a great texture and even better flavor. 

When I was a kid and we would go to my grandparents cabin on Leech Lake, my Dad would always stop at Morey's fish house in Brainerd to [ick up some Goldies. We would always eat one in the car as we drove the rest of the way. I don't get up there as often as I used to but when ever poosible I stop in to get some. I was up ice fishing a few weeks back and stopped in for a few pounds of smoked fish. 


Every year I say the same thing. I am going to smoke more fish. Every year I fail to do that. I don't know why that is either, Its not that difficult to smoke fish and the end results are almost always wonderful. So I am officially say it here, this year I am going to smoke more fish. 

With the last batch of goldies I bought I tried a couple of things out with them. the first thing I wanted to try was to make fish cakes with smoked fish. The second thing was something I read in an Irish Pub Cookery Book. It was a smoked fish with horseradish pate. It looked amazing and I really couldn't wait to try it. It is very simple and can be frozen in small portions to eat later. I made a large batch and then froze it in smaller portions so whenever I want to have a snack all I have to do is set it out to thaw and I am good to go. 



Smoked Fish and Horseradish Pate

8 oz. flaked smoked fish
8 oz/ cream cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated horseradish
zest and juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste


using a potato masher mash the flaked fish with the cream cheese, horseradish, lemon, and parsley. Taste and then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with plain saltine crackers and enjoy.