Grilled Salmon with a Habanaro Peach Glaze


I go through streaks with this blog, sometimes I am feeling the drive to write more and sometimes I am not. I am still cooking a lot and taking pictures of everything but the creative juices just don't flow in the writing department. I really want to post regularly but I get lazy and before you know it I have gone 2 weeks without making a single post. In those 2 weeks we here in Minnesota have gone from sunny 50 degree days back down to  30's and 8 inches of snow on the ground.  Before the snow hit I got some of the outdoor clean up done and fired up the grill for the first time this year. I had one salmon fillet left from last years trip to Lake Michigan so I thought I would cut it up and have it for dinner.

Last summer I had made a habanero peach jam. It is one of my favorite jams and really goes great on an English muffin. it is perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the peaches and the heat of the peppers. I was thinking about it all winter and wanted to see if I could use it in something else. What I came up with was to mix it with some soy sauce, Mirin and sake to make a nice glaze for my salmon.

I like using my grill but grilling fish is one of those things that never seems to work for me. The fish usually ends up falling apart or burning and I just can't seem to get it right. This salmon actually turned out really well. I had read a few techniques for grilling fish and this one seemed to work. basically you leave the skin on and grill the fish over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes basting the salmon every five minutes with your glaze. The skin on the bottom burned but the meat itself was perfectly cooked and the skin peeled right off with out any problems. My glaze was delicious and the sweet and heat of the jam really came through on the fish.

Grilled Salmon with a Habanaro Peach Glaze

4-6 pieces of salmon about 6 oz. a piece
1/4 cup Peach Habanero jam (you can find all sorts of pepper infused jams you and of them you would like)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
1/4 cup sake
2 clove garlic, minced


mix the glaze together and then marinade the salmon in the glaze for about 30 minutes before you grill. Preheat you grill to medium low, about 300 degrees and then put the salmon on the grill. Don't move the salmon once it is on the grill. using a brush baste the fish with he left over marinade every five minutes. Grill for 15-20 minutes. top with green onion or chives and enjoy.