Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison Burger



With out a doubt the most popular post I have ever written is my venison burgers. I think that's because everybody loves a good burger. For the most part burgers are a staple in the American diet. I know when I was a kid, burger night was always one of my favorite meals. Mom's burgers and a chocolate shake made sure of that. I love being able to make burgers with wild game. In the past I have made them with deer, buffalo and duck and the occasional catfish burger. But I still haven't made a wild game juicy lucy.

 
For those that don't know, a juicy lucy is a burger that has the cheese stuffed inside the burger. They are very popular here in Minnesota and it seems like everybody serves one. There is even some debate as to who made the original juicy lucy, Both the 5-8 club and Matt's bar claim to be the home of the juicy lucy. Both are delicious but neither is made with wild game so I made my own. I used my own burger recipe and decided to use blue cheese instead of cheddar. I also like a little sweet with my salty so i added some maple syrup to the fried onions. I topped my burger with a little Mississippi Comeback sauce if you have never tried it I would highly recommend it. It is addicting as hell and goes great with just about everything. It reminds me a little bit of thousand Island dressing only with a kick.


 
 
When you make this burger it is nice to use a ring mold of some sort to hold the burger while you make a well in the middle for the cheese and then cover it with a thinner patty. Fry the burger in a little butter and then dive in. Be warned however, the cheese in the middle is often very hot an when you bite in it can squirt out and burn you. So eat at your own risk.
 

Jamie's 100% venison burger
1 pound ground venison (preferably neck meat)
2 tablespoons minced roasted garlic
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Black pepper to taste.

Mix all the ingredients together and form patties