Glugfest and Duck Drumsticks

Every year I like to host what I call Glugfest, it is a get together to celebrate the making of Glug, Glug is a Scandinavian liquor that my family has been making for decades. Originally we just had a few family members getting together and making enough glug for our families. Then I started inviting more and more people and really started putting an effort into the food and boom, Glugfest. 


This year was no exception, I went all out with several large boards featuring Sylte (Swedish Headcheese)Coffee pickled beets and mustard and another board with my version of a Ploughman's Plate. It had a juniper roasted antelope loin and a turkey liver pate with Piccalilli, pickled green beans and curried carrot relish. I also made a fall pork stew and a creole turtle soup that were big hits.  My favorite dish of the day was my duck drumsticks.



Last month I got a new cookbook called In The Charcuterie In the book they have a recipe for these duck drumsticks. They are basically just ground duck meatballs that have been wrapped around lemongrass skewers. I love duck and I really loved the way these drumsticks looked in the book so as soon as I got enough duck to grind up I new I was going to make these. I didn't get enough ducks on opening weekend of the duck season but the guy I hunt with had some left over from last year so he gave about 3 lbs of duck from last year. I ground them together with a little pork fat and followed the recipe in the book pretty closely.


These little drumsticks disappeared in a hurry as did all of the food that night. Even the head cheese and the dreaded turtle soup were all gone at the end of the night. I think there is an interesting phenomenon that happens in large groups. At first nobody will try the dish then one person tries it and says it is good and then another and another. By the end of Glugfest even the most conservative of eaters was gulping down the turtle soup like it was that last soup on earth. The duck drumsticks were the first thing to go, the mixture of Asian flavors really compliments the duck and I through together an Asian style barbecue sauce to go along with it then sprinkle some enoki mushrooms just for fun. 


Duck Drumsticks

2 lbs ground duck
1 pound fatty pork shoulder
20 g sea salt
2 teaspoons ground pepper
2 tsp honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup finely diced onions
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced lemon grass
2 teaspoons grated ginger
3 cloves minced garlic


1. Grind the meats together and then mix in all the seasonings, let rest for a few hours or over night in the fridge covered with cling wrap so the meat doesn't dry out

2. Form meat balls about 4 ounces in size and wrap around a 6 inch piece of lemon grass

3. grill them until they are about 150 degrees and serve with hoisin or whatever you would like