Wild Boar and Horseradish Sausage


There are few things in this world that I enjoy as much as making sausage.  Butchering an animal is a skill that is necessary to know, but making sausage is an art.  If I had endless amounts of money and free time I would spend it making sausage.

I grew up in a family that celebrated the holidays by making Swedish potato sausage every year.  It was my only experience in making sausage until about ten years ago when I started making sausages out of my venison.  I have followed many recipes and have made dozens of different types of sausage, but this is my first attempt at creating a sausage of my own.

I was fortunate enough to be given a couple of wild boar this year and have been playing around with them and enjoying many different creations.  I made a very tasty sweet Italian sausage earlier this year but didn't add any fat to it and discovered that wild boar is just to lean to make sausage with out adding fat.  I then made a Mazzafagetti  from a recipe by Hank Shaw and was amazed.  I then started thinking that I should try making my own sausage.  Lucky for me my buddy Rick Edwards had just brought me some fresh horseradish from his garden and I was inspired.  I had eaten a pork burger about ten years ago that was spiced with horseradish and thought why not bring the two together in tube form.

These sausages have a good amount of green onions and parsley in them which cut through the heat of the horseradish and cayenne pepper.  When cooked on the grill the natural casing just pops and the sausages burst with flavor.  served with some onion marmalade and some spicy brown mustard I give these sausages an A+.

Wild Boar and Horseradish Sausage


4 pounds wild boar (or Pork)
1 pound back fat
1/2 cup parsley
1 cup green onions (white and green parts)
45 grams of salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup freshly grated horseradish
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 cup powdered milk

cut boar and pork fat into cubes and mix in all other ingredients except the powdered milk.  place in the freezer for one hour.  after one hour grind through a medium die, mix in the powdered milk and stuff into natural hog casings.

Jamie's Onion Marmalade


1 large yellow onion, sliced
3 shallots thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons hot sauce

saute the onions and shallots in the olive oil until soft and translucent, sprinkle with salt and pepper,  then add sugar and stir  until dissolved, add the rest of the ingredients.  This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.