Seventh Heaven

 I don't post about dessert's very often, as a matter of fact since starting this blog I have only done 3 that I can remember.  This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy dessert, because I do, I love them and sometimes I get  a craving for a specific type of sweet and can't get past it until I make them and then I am stuck eating an enormous batch of whatever I just made by myself.  Fortunately for me I have co-workers who are willing to pick up the slack and eat all the extra's so I don't have to.


Last week I was craving seven layer bars and couldn't get them out of my mind.  Finally I looked through my cupboards and found that I had almost everything I needed to make them so I ran to the store and bought what I needed and got to work on them right away.  My favorite thing about the seven layer bar is that it almost doesn't matter what you put into them, they always come out tasting awesome.  For my seven layer bars there are actually eight layers.  I like to change a few things up and stray away from the traditional ingredients.  First and foremost I like nilla wafers as the base instead of graham crackers.  I also like to mix all the ingredients together instead of making layers.  When it comes to sweets I believe they should have some salty element in them as well to balance the flavors so I like to add pretzels to mine.


In the end what you get is a beautifully sweet, buttery, chewy bar with just a hint of salt that is just magical.  It is probably a good thing I didn't know how to make these when I was younger or I may still be sitting on a couch eating them and drinking strawberry kwik while playing video games.

Jamie's Eight Layers bars


1 1/2 cup crushed nilla wafers ( I like mine really fine and do them in the food processor)
1/2 cup salted butter
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup crushed health bar bits
1 cup crushed pretzels
1 cup shredded coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk

melt the butter and mix with nilla wafer crumbs and press into a well greased 13x9 pan.  mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl until condensed milk coats everything.  spread this mixture over the nilla wafer crust and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.