Lomi Lomi Hand Rolls


A little over a year ago, a friend of mine was getting ready to leave for Iraq for a one year deployment.  When I asked him what he wanted to do before he left he said, "I want to have a seafood extravaganza."
So that Is what we did.  About a month ago he returned from his deployment and called to let me know that he wanted to do the seafood extravaganza again, so a day was picked and everyone was invited and the menu was planned.

It took me a while to figure out what I was going to bring.  The grill wasn't going to be available because three of the other guys were grilling things, so I thought maybe a sushi of some sorts.  It has been extremely warm here lately and I wanted something that would be cool and refreshing but also not spoil and go bad in the heat.  A few years back I was in Hawaii and had Lomi Lomi, which is sort of a relish made with salted salmon, red onions, green onions and tomatoes.  It is usually served with taro chips but I thought it would make a nice filling for hand rolls.  So I made some sushi rice, made the lomi lomi and rolled some hand rolls.



Because I know the group of guys I was cooking for, I figured I should put a little heat into these, so I put a few drops of sriracha into each roll.  The rolls were fantastic, the salt in the salmon and the onions and tomatoes made a very fresh a cool feel in the mouth with just a hint of heat at the end from the sriracha. It was a great way to start the meal.  Over the course of the evening we had fried crappies, asian grilled shrimp, cedar plank salmon, grilled crab leg, grilled softshell crab sandwiches, steamed mussels in a white wine broth, fresh oysters, crab cakes and seared scallops with a juniper pepper rub that were just perfect.  By the end of the night we were all a little to full but still managed to finish a bottle of scotch. Anytime anywhere boys.

Lomi Lomi Hand Rolls

1 pound salted salmon
4 large tomatoes
2 medium red onions
1 bunch of green onions (white and green part)

chop all ingredients into a small dice and stir together.

to make the hand rolls follow this link sushi hand rolls this is a basic video on how to make hand rolls.  Just use the lomi lomi as your filling.