Antelope Suvlaki

I am by no means a starving college student, if you have read this blog at all you wouldn't believe me even if I was.  However because school has consumed so much of my time over the last few years I have been unable to do a lot of the hunting and fishing and gathering that I would like to have gotten done.  This is where it is great to have friends.  I have a buddy that I did a lot of duck hunting with over the past ten years and he keeps me supplied in ducks.  I also have a friend that goes to Wyoming every year and shoots a couple of Antelope and shares some of the meat with me.  When school is finished at the end of this year I have every intention of getting back into it and going to Wyoming next year to get me one of those Antelope.  Since my friend has been bringing me antelope I have acquired an addiction to it.  I love it like no other meat I have ever had.  I feel about antelope the way I feel about pork and duck, without it I would be lost.

I like my antelope on the grill and one of my favorite ways to have it is greek style on a pita.  I take a pound of antelope cut into 1 inch cubes and and let it marinade for four to six hours.

Marinade
1 cup red wine (preferably greek)
1 tbsp dried oregano
3 cloves of garlic ( smashed and chopped )
2 tsp red wine vinegar
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp toasted fennel seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper


After the meat has marinaded for the appropriate time I grill them on skewers for about 4 minutes per side and serve them with pitas, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and tzatziki sauce I also like to through some feta on there as well.